Friday, December 10, 2010

Lullaby... and GOOD Night!

Recently, my 4-year old had a hard time falling asleep.  This is incredibly rare because we were such sticklers with sleep training.  I tried the usual reasoning efforts, but when those didn’t work, I asked him if he wanted me to sing him songs.  Much to my chagrin, he said yes!  I began to rack my brain for all the songs he loved as a baby, and that got me reminiscing…
From the day my son was born, he loved for me to sing to him.  I have a pretty awful voice, but it soothed him regardless.  Along with rocking, swaying and pacifier-ing, it became a ritual at nap and bed time (I even made up a lullaby!)  It was so essential that I sing without pausing in between songs, that I had a play list in my head.  I would sing the same songs, in the same order, and then repeat.  I was a human iPod.
After that recent night of singing my pre-schooler to sleep, I thought I would document the play list – for you and for me!
Freres Jacques (Are you sleeping?)
Rock-a-Bye Baby
Lullaby and Goodnight

I’m a Little Teapot
Mary Had a Little Lamb
You are My Sunshine
Hush Little Baby
Itsy Bitsy Spider
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star

And if you are a believer of Christmas and lucky enough to have a baby around November and December, add in some Christmas Carols.
Jingle Bells
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
12 Days of Christmas
Silent Night
Joy to the World
The First Noel
Away in the Manger
Have more lullabies?  Send them to me, so I can add to the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment