Monday, October 3, 2011

Just for Fun - Rainy Day Activities Part IV

I am loving this time of year because the weather has been glorious.  And by glorious, I mean unseasonably warm!  My family and I have not had many 'rainy day activities' lately.  We have been at the botanical gardens, the apple orchard and the pumpkin patch.  

My son and I both obsess over Halloween (he chooses his costume 9-10  months before October).  So currently, we are in preparation for the big day.  Over the weekend, we went to the Halloween store (the one that just opens up for the month), decorated our house with all the spooky decor that I bought the day after Halloween LAST year AND we even made pumpkin bars. 

Whether it is raining where you are or not, this is an easy and delicious recipe.  I took it from my Parish's web site, so you know it is a classic.  It is listed amongst chicken salad and potato casserole recipes.  Comfort food!

PUMPKIN BARS
(11 x 15 pan)
Spray or grease a jelly roll pan.

In a large mixing bowl, stir together:
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs

Add and stir together:
1-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon 
Add 1 (16 oz) can of pumpkin.  Stir until well combined.

Bake 25-30 minutes @ 350 degrees. Let cool.

Frosting:
Mix together 3 oz softened cream cheese and 3/4 cup butter.  
Add 1/2 tsp vanilla.    
Add 3 cups sifted powdered sugar.  
Mix with beaters until smooth.  
Spread on cooled bars.

Enjoy and happy fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment